Type of entity
Legal Status Text
Authorized form of name
Other form(s) of name
Dates of existence
The Children's Hospital officially opened in June 1909 with two 20 bed wards, an operating theatre, an outpatient's department, a staff residence and an administration block. By 1911, an infant's pavillion of 20 beds and isolation ward of 12 beds had been added.
The original staff comprised a Resident Medical Officer, a Matron, 3 nursing sisters, 6 staff nurses, 5 probationers and a dispenser who also acted as a clerk.
The hospital was registered as a training school for nurses with the Australian Trained Nurses Association from its time of opening, becoming a general training school for nurses in 1927.
The name of the Children's Hospital was changed to that of Princess Margaret Hospital for Children on 27 January 1949.