State Records Office of WA SROWA

Government of Western Australia, Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries

Series S416 - INDEX TO NAMES CHANGED BY LICENCE OR DEED POLL

Identity area

Reference code

AU WA S416

Title

INDEX TO NAMES CHANGED BY LICENCE OR DEED POLL

Date(s)

  • 1832-01-01 - 1957-12-31 (Creation)

Level of description

Series

Medium

Format

Volumes

Status

Context area

Name of creator

AU WA A234 - REGISTRAR OF DEEDS, CONVENYANCES AND OTHER INSTRUMENTS (1832-01-01 - 1876-01-01)

Administrative history

Pursuant to 2 William IV No. 6. a registrar was appointed and a "public office" established "for the registration of Deeds Conveyances and other Instruments, Wills and Judgements". Registration was effected by lodging with the Registrar of Deeds a memorial of the document to be registered. The 1832 Legislation (2 William Acts 6 & 7) were repealed and replaced by the Registration of Deeds Act 1856. (29 Vic., No. 14). This Act which is still extant provided that all registered documents should have priority according to the date of registration. In recent times the conveyancing provisions of this Act have been amended by the Property Law Act 1969.

In 1876, upon the establishment of the Office of Titles the Deeds system of land conveyancing was superseded by the Torrens system of land registration. The 1856 legislation still applied to dealings in land granted by the Crown before the new system came into operation. The Office of Registrar of Deeds still exists within the present day Office of Titles.

Name of creator

AU WA A235 - OFFICE OF TITLES (1876-01-01 - 1984-11-01)

Administrative history

This agency was established in 1876 pursuant to the Transfer of Land Act 1874 (38 Vic. No. 13). The Act provided for the appointment of a Commissioner of Titles "for superintending the department hereby established" and other officers, to implement the Torrens system of land registration as well as continue to administer the Deed system (which covered land conveyed by memorials). The "old" system of conveyancing was consolidated in the Registration of Deeds Act 1856 19 Vic., No. 14, and updated by the Property Law Act, 1969.

The first Commissioner of Titles, C.H. James, was appointed in 1876. Until the mid 1980's the Land Titles Office, now known as the Office of Titles, was a sub department of the Crown Law Department. Since November 1984 its controlling agency has been the Department of Lands and Surveys (now known as the Department of Land Administration).

Archival history

Content and structure area

Scope and content

This index covers name changes recorded in Books XXI to XXIV of the Memorials, 1936 - 1957.

Accruals

System of arrangement

Numerical

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing access (legacy)

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Related units of description

Related units of description

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Description control area

Level of detail

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Archivist's note

Range Control Symbol = 1 -
Copies: Microfilm copy available in the State Records Office of Western Australia

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places