State Records Office of WA SROWA

Government of Western Australia, Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries

Series S1299 - PASTORAL DIVISIONS - INFORMATION

Identity area

Reference code

AU WA S1299

Title

PASTORAL DIVISIONS - INFORMATION

Date(s)

  • 1924-01-01 - 1936-12-31 (Creation)

Level of description

Series

Medium

Format

Volumes

Status

Context area

Name of creator

AU WA A42 - DEPARTMENT OF LANDS AND SURVEYS (1890-01-01 - 1986-07-01)

Administrative history

The Department of Lands and Surveys was one of the oldest government agencies in Western Australia, having been constituted under the name of the Survey Office in 1829. The Office became the Surveyor-General's Department in 1870 and was organized into two branches - Crown Lands and Surveys. The Department was administered by the Surveyor-General who also held the title of Commissioner of Crown Lands.

The Department was restyled the Crown Lands and Surveys Department in 1873 and, in 1890, the Department of Land and Surveys.

The Department of Lands and Surveys was responsible for the leasing and alienation of Crown Lands (except where mining and forestry tenures were involved*), the reservation of land for public purposes and roads, the surveying and classifying of land, and the exploration and mapping of the State. From its inception, the Department was also active in promoting immigration and settlement, and until 1973 was responsible for administering various Assisted Passage Immigration Schemes.

Immigration remained one of the functions of the Department until 1986, and the Department was responsible for the administration of the Noalimba Reception Centre.

Following a functional review, the Department was reorganized and renamed the Department of Land Administration in 1986.


  • Initially, the Department was responsible for virtually all aspects of land administration, but with the establishment of the Department of Mines (1893) and the Forests Department (1919), it relinquished control of mining and forestry matters.

Archival history

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Apparently kept by the Board of Pastoral Appraisers this volume includes statistical information (eg. stock carrying capacity and wool values) and newspaper cuttings on the pastoral divisions (Eucla, North West, Kimberley and Eastern). Also includes a copy of Blechynden's diary (1936) on droving Wyndham cattle and brief comments on two stock routes (one is designated the Bedford Way).

Accruals

System of arrangement

None discernible

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open

Conditions governing access (legacy)

Open

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Related units of description

Related units of description

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Description control area

Level of detail

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Archivist's note

Range Control Symbol = 1

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places