Series S1377 - SCRAPBOOKS

Identity area

Reference code

AU WA S1377

Title

SCRAPBOOKS

Date(s)

  • 1905-01-30 - (Creation)
  • 1905-01-30 - 1946-05-30 (Accumulation)

Level of description

Series

Medium

Format

Volumes

Status

Context area

Name of creator

AU WA A47 - DEPARTMENT OF NATIVE AFFAIRS (1936-01-01 - 1954-12-31)

Administrative history

In 1936, following the recommendation of the Moseley Royal Commission and the subsequent amendment of the Aborigines Act 1905, functions of the Aborigines Department were considerably increased and its name was at the same time changed to that of the Department of Native Affairs.

In 1947, the portfolio of the Minister for Native Affairs was created and a year later the Bateman Survey recommended drastic changes in the organisation of the department. These changes were duly carried out in the following year.

In 1954, the name of the department was changed to the Department of Native Welfare and its duties and functions were laid down by the Native Administration Act of that year.

Name of creator

AU WA A63 - ABORIGINES DEPARTMENT [2] (1926-01-01 - 1936-01-01)

Administrative history

In 1926, a new Aborigines Department was created to administer Aboriginal affairs for the whole of the State. This responsibility had been split across two departments - the Department of the North West and the Department of Fisheries - between the years 1920 and 1926.

Name of creator

AU WA A64 - DEPARTMENT OF THE NORTH WEST [1] (1920-01-01 - 1926-01-01)

Administrative history

This department had control of Aboriginal affairs for the area above latitude 25 degrees South in Western Australia. The Department of Fisheries had control of Aboriginal affairs for the area below latitude 25 degrees South in Western Australia.

Auber Octavius Neville was appointed Chief Protector of Aborigines on 7 May 1915. He became Secretary for the Department of the North West on 1 November 1920, combining this position with that of Chief Protector (North of the 25th parallel). When the Aborigines Department was re-established in 1926, Neville became once again, on 30 June 1926, the Chief Protector of Aborigines for the whole State.

Name of creator

AU WA A66 - DEPARTMENT OF ABORIGINES AND FISHERIES (1909-01-01 - 1920-01-01)

Administrative history

In 1909, the Aborigines and Fisheries Departments were amalgamated into one agency, the Department of Aborigines and Fisheries. This was partly due to financial constraints and partly due to the expediency of running as one the two departments whose interests lay mainly in the northern part of the State.

After World War I, the Department was abolished and its functions pertaining to Aboriginal affairs south of the 25th parallel, as well as to fisheries throughout the State, were taken over by the Fisheries Department.

Charles Frederick Gale was appointed the second Chief Protector of Aborigines on 1 October 1908. He undertook this position together with that of the Chief Inspector of Fisheries. In 1911, Frederick Aldrich was appointed Chief Inspector of Fisheries and Gale's duties were limited to that of Chief Protector of Aborigines. Gale was dismissed from office in 1915 at an age of 54, ostensibly as an "excess officer" and was vindicated by a Royal Commission appointed to inquire into his dismissal.

Auber Octavius Neville (Secretary of the Immigration Department since 1911) was appointed as Gale's successor on 7 May 1915.

Name of creator

AU WA A67 - ABORIGINES DEPARTMENT [1] (1898-04-01 - 1908-12-31)

Administrative history

The 1897 Aborigines Act established the first Aborigines department in Western Australia. The department started to function in April 1898, as a sub-department of the Treasury, with a small staff, a permanent head called the Chief Protector of Aborigines, and a statutory grant of 5 000 pounds. In 1901, the department was assigned to the Premier's Department, a year later to the office of the Colonial Secretary, and in 1905 its control was transferred to the Minister for Commerce and Labour. About the same time, as a result of a Royal Commission appointed in 1904, it was raised to the status of a department and allocated a minmum statutory grant of 10 000 pounds.

In 1909, the Aborigines and the Fisheries Departments were amalgamated into one agency; the Aborigines and Fisheries Department. This step was due partly to a policy of financial stringency on the part of the government and partly to the expediency of running as one the two departments whose interests in that period lay mainly in the northern part of the State.

The first Chief Protector of Aborigines was Henry Charles Prinsep (who was formerly Under-Secretary for Mines). Prinsep's appointment commenced on 1 April 1898 but was without any legal authority (see the 1904 Roth Royal Commission, question 207). The Aborigines Act 1905 legalised the situation and his appointment was re-gazetted on 4 May 1906.

Charles Frederick Gale was appointed Acting Chief Protector of Aborigines during Prinsep's absence commencing 11 December 1912. Gale was appointed Chief Protector of Aborigines and Chief Inspector of Fisheries on 1 October 1908.

Archival history

Content and structure area

Scope and content

This series comprises scrapbooks compiled by the Aborigines Department and its successor departments. The scrapbooks contain newspaper cuttings of articles relating to Aboriginal issues. Volume 1 contains cuttings relating to the Royal Commission (under Dr Roth) into the administration of the Aborigines Department in 1905.

Accruals

System of arrangement

Chronological

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open

Conditions governing access (legacy)

Open access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Related units of description

Related units of description

Access points

Place access points

Description control area

Level of detail

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Archivist's note

Range Control Symbol = 1 - 6

Accession area