Type of entity
Legal Status Text
Authorized form of name
Other form(s) of name
Dates of existence
On 5 September, 1945, Mr. H. H. Styants, the member for Kalgoorlie, moved in the Legislative Assembly the following motion:
"That, in view of the congestion and delays to shipping at Fremantle and having in mind the desirability of utilising and developing the port of Esperance in the interests of goldfields areas, and other outports in the interests of their respective localities, a Select Committee be appointed to inquire into and report upon:
(a) The extent to which it is possible to make fuller use of the outports of this State at the present time;
(b) the steps necessary to ensure that all outports may be more fully used in the post-war period;
(c) the effect any such steps would have on the trading community in the towns from and to which traffic may be diverted;
(d) the capacity of the transport system, both rail and road, to cope with any steps recommended, and the effect of any such steps upon the transport system, especially if zoning is involved, in connection with freight rates and other matters affeeted;
(e) whether the administration of harbours throughout the State should be concentrated under one harbour authority and to what extent existing legisation would need to be amended for this purpose."
The Legislative Assembly agreed to the motion on 19 September 1945 and the following members were appointed to serve on the Committee: the Honourables H.H. Styants M.L.A., L.L. Hill M.L.A., E.K. Hoar M.L.A., L.J. Triat M.L.A. and W.H.F. Willmott M.L.A. Further power was granted to the Select Committee on 26 September 1945 to adjourn from place to place for the purpose of taking evidence.
It was found necessary prior to the prorogation of Parliament by the Lieutenant-Governor which automatieally dissolves the Select Committee, for its conversion into a Royal Commission, and accordingly the members were appointed as an Honorary Royal Commission by the Lieutenant-Governor on the third day of April 1946. The Royal Commission was published in the Government Gazette on the fifth day of April 1946, and empowered members to inquire into and report upon the matters which had previously been referred to them by the Legislative Assembly.
The report of the Royal Commission was completed on 1 August 1946.