Type of entity
Legal Status Text
Authorized form of name
Other form(s) of name
Dates of existence
The State Film Centre has its origins in the 1940s when the Education Department began producing short films covering subjects of contemporary concern such as democracy, citizenship and physical fitness. In 1947, the Education Department turned this unit into the Audio Visual Aids Branch (see Agency No. 333) and an interdepartmental State Advisory Committee was formed under the Education Act to advise the Minister on all aspects of visual education. The Government Film Unit (see Agency No. 364), responsible for local film production, emerged from this Branch but was phased out in 1967.
The Branch was moved to a former school building in Leederville in 1958 and the adult library component of the Branch adopted the name the State Film Centre. At the same time, the State Advisory Committee was replaced by the new State Film Centre Committee. The dual function of the Committee was to select films for purchase (for a lending service to community groups) and to foster the State Film Archives.
In July 1978, the Library Board of WA accepted responsibility for the State Film Centre and Archives and the Centre was relocated once again. The State Film Archives was incorporated into the Battye Library of Westralian History and the State Film Centre operated as an independent component within the Library and Information Service of WA.