Type of entity
Legal Status Text
Authorized form of name
Other form(s) of name
Dates of existence
On 1 July 2002, the Library and Information Service of Western Australia officially changed its name to the State Library of Western Australia.
The mission of the State Library of Western Australia is to provide and promote equitable access to information resources and services which support the intellectual, economic, cultural, social and recreational needs of the people of Western Australia.
The State Library holds responsibility to:
- develop and maintain public library collections appropriate to the needs of Western Australians;
- cooperate with local government and approved bodies in the provision and development of free public library services;
- provide responsive reference and information services;
- acquire, provide access to, and preserve information materials with particular emphasis on WA's documentary heritage; and
- develop and maintain the State's private archival collections.