Type of entity
Legal Status Text
Authorized form of name
Other form(s) of name
Dates of existence
The Review's establishment was announced by the Minister for Youth and Community Services on 21 September 1983. Ms Jan Carter was appointed as Director of the Review assisted by an Honorary Advisory Board of 12 persons, under the Chairmanship of Bishop Michael Challon. The Board met formally on twelve occasions during the Review's life.
The Review's Terms of Reference were as follows:
1. To study and report upon the nature and adequacy of welfare policies and practices in Western Australia with special reference to the structure and mode of the operation of the Department for Community Welfare Services.
2. To identify priority areas of welfare and service delivery and recommend appropriate measures for their development in the future.
3. To consider the role and functions of Government and non-government organisations in the welfare field in Western Australia and recommend how their respective contributions could be enhanced.
4. To advise the Minister of, any other related matters arising from, or having reference to, the above Terms of Reference.
To implement the aforementioned, the Review undertook the following tasks: (inter alia)
- conducted Statewide public hearings (627 people gave evidence at 26 locations)
- sought and received written submissions which totalled 469.
- approved nine specialist advisory committees.
- conducted 2 major research programs
(a) to sound out consumer reaction to welfare services by the State Government.
(b) to survey alleged low morale amongst the staff of the Department for Community Welfare.
On 29 May 1984 the Review submitted a preliminary report to the Minister for Community Services. This report addressed Item One of the Terms of Reference, and served as a blueprint for an administrative restructure of the Department for Community Welfare; (the latter became the Department for Community Services as from 1 January 1985). The preliminary Report was released as a public document on 8 June.
The Minister released the Final Report of the Review for public discussion on 25 September 1984. The final Report was published in three volumes collectively titled 'The Wellbeing of the People'.
Although the Review was established at the direction of, and reported to, the Minister for Youth and Community Services, it was funded by the Department of the Premier and Cabinet (as is the practice with other Commissions and Committees of Inquiry).