Series S1252 - EDUCATION DEPARTMENT EAST PERTH - ACCOMMODATION AND BUILDING REQUIREMENTS

Identity area

Reference code

AU WA S1252

Title

EDUCATION DEPARTMENT EAST PERTH - ACCOMMODATION AND BUILDING REQUIREMENTS

Date(s)

  • 1980-01-01 - 1982-04-30 (Creation)

Level of description

Series

Medium

Format

Other papers

Status

Context area

Name of creator

AU WA A12 - EDUCATION DEPARTMENT (1893-10-13 - 1988-07-01)

Administrative history

The Education Department held responsibility for all primary, secondary and technical schools, teachers' training colleges, universities.

By amendment to the Elementary Education Act in 1893, the Central Board of Education was abolished and a Minister of Education was appointed, having all the powers and duties previously vested in the Central Board. Under the 1893 Act, the Minister was empowered to appoint and dismiss teachers; schools were classified; teachers were graded; teachers positions were defined, and a salary scale for teachers implemented.

The overall management of the Education Department was vested in the Inspector-General of Schools, an office created in 1897 and first occupied by Cyril Jackson. Two years later, the schools system was revised substantially by the Public Education Act of 1899. The Act abolished school fees, provided for co-educational schools, and made attendance compulsory for children between the ages of six and fourteen years. The Act also established a new curriculum which included manual training and household management.

The administrative structure of the Education Department was altered by the Education Act of 1928. This statute re-affirmed the centralized character of the state's public school system by redefining the Minister's powers with regard to the establishment of schools, the training of teachers, the attendance of children, and the organization of Parents' and Citizens' Associations. Following the 1928 Act, responsibility for the operations of the Education Department was vested in the office of the Director-General; he was empowered to promulgate Administrative Instructions which amplified the statutory regulations attending the Act. The Education Department was divided into five divisions (Primary Education, Secondary Education, Technical Education, Teacher Education, and Special Services), each controlled by a Director.

The department was reorganized again in 1987 and today operates as the Department of Education and Training.

Archival history

Content and structure area

Scope and content

In April 1982 the Education Department moved to new premises at 151 Royal Street, East Perth. Prior to 1982 the Department's sections were spread over many different sites. This series reflects the planning necessary for the move. Each item in the series is for a different section and may contain colour photographs mounted on thin card, photocopies of sections of plans of the new building with notations added, correspondence re planning for that section, notes on the functions and activities of the section, answers to the questionnaire sent to each section by Metaplan, procedures and organisational charts. [For registered files on the Royal Street building see WAS 24 Cons. 4474] [Item 84 of Cons 4845 - negatives - are located in the Battye Pictorial Collection P40/29]

Accruals

System of arrangement

Numerical

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open

Conditions governing access (legacy)

Open

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Related units of description

Related units of description

Access points

Place access points

Description control area

Level of detail

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Archivist's note

Range Control Symbol = 01 - 84 Physform2 = 11 Physform3 = 10

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places