- 1963-10-07 - (Creation)
- 1963-10-07 - 1992-04-29 (Accumulation)
Level of description
Name of creator
With the advent of responsible government in 1890, the Governor was superseded as the Chief Executive Officer of Western Australia by a Premier and Cabinet who were responsible to Parliament. The first Premier was the Hon. John (afterwards Sir John and later Baron) Forrest, who held the position until 1901. Premier Forrest's office was managed by Frederic D. North, a clerk from the Crown Lands Office who was appointed Secretary and Clerk to the Executive Council in February 1891. North may be regarded as the instigator of the Premier's Department since it was his submission to Forrest which led to the creation of the Department in May 1898.
At its inception, the Department consisted of North (who was styled "Under Secretary"), a shorthand clerk, a records clerk and a messenger. When the Department was first established in 1898 it was gazetted as a sub-department of the Treasury. In July 1901 it became a sub-department of the Attorney-General's Department. A year later it became a sub-department of the Colonial Secretary's Department.
In August 1903 the title of the Premier's "Department" was changed to Premier's "Office", and during the next few years the office was located within the Departments held in the portfolio of the Premiers of the day.
In 1907, the Premier's Secretariat was recognized as a separate entity and was allocated its own appropriation. For the next 34 years it functioned as an autonomous government Department.
In August 1941 it reverted to being a sub-department of the State Treasury. However, its status was restored in January 1948 and since then it has functioned as an independent Department. The changing status names and affiliations of the Department may be summarized as follows:
- May 1898: Premier's Department - sub-department of the Colonial Treasury;
- July 1901: Premier's Department - sub-department of the Attorney-General;
- July 1902: Premier's Department - sub-department of the Colonial Secretary's Office;
- August 1903: Premier's Department - located within various departments, mainly Treasury;
- January 1907: Premier's Office - autonomous department;
- August 1919: Premier's Department - autonomous department;
- August 1941: Premier's Office - sub-department of State Treasury;
- January 1948: Premier's Department - autonomous department.
On 1 September 1987 the Department was reorganized and its name changed to the Ministry of the Premier and the Cabinet.
The organisation is known now as the Department of the Premier and Cabinet.
Just as the name of the Department changed, so too did the title of Departmental Heads. The permanent Head of the Department was known variously as "Under Secretary, Premier's Department" (1898-1903); "Secretary to the Premier" (1903-1919); "Secretary, Premier's Department" (1919-1936); "Under Secretary, Premier's Department" (1936-1941); "Secretary, Premier's Office" (1941-1947); and "Under Secretary, Premier's Department" (1948-1987).
In 1917 the Premier's Department assumed responsibility for the office of the Agent-General in London. The Department subsequently administered other agencies including the Government Motor Car Service, Government Printer, Public Service Commission, Railway Advisory Board and the State Gardens Board (afterwards known as the National Parks Board). During the Second World War, when the National Security Act vested the Premier with wide powers, the Department was responsible for such matters as blackouts, hotel hours, race meetings and basic wages.
Later, the Department was to hold responsibility for Royal Commissions and other Commissions of Inquiry, for protocol and for the appointment of Justices of the Peace. As well as providing secretarial and administrative assistance to the Premier and the Executive Council, the Department acted as a liaison between the Government and the Governor and between the Legislature and the Judiciary.
Name of creator
Following the formation of the Burke administration in February 1983, the Premier's Department was restructured and retitled as the Department of the Premier and Cabinet. The title of the Permanent Head of the Department was upgraded from Under Secretary to Director General. The Department comprised three divisions: Policy; Administrative Services, and; Ceremonial and Hospitality. Each division was headed by an Executive Director who reported to the Deputy Director General and the Director General.
As well as providing executive and administrative support to the Premier and the Cabinet, the Department was responsible for the Government Media Office and the Agent General's Office in London. The Department was also responsible for Royal and other Commissions of Inquiry and for various advisory bodies such as the Equal Opportunity Commission and the Women's Advisory Council. In September 1987 the Department was renamed the Ministry of the Premier and Cabinet.
Name of creator
Name of creator
Name of creator
Following the accession of Carmen Lawrence to the Premiership, the Ministry of the Premier and State Administration and the Ministry of Cabinet and Public Sector Management were abolished on 1 March 1990 and the Ministry of Premier and Cabinet  created on the same day. Also created were two sub-departments within the Ministry - the Department of the Premier to provide corporate services for the Ministry and the Department of the Cabinet to provide policy and co-ordination and to report direct to the Premier. On 1 September 1992, the Department of the Cabinet was given full departmental status. Following its abolition on 1 July 1993,a new sub-department, the Policy Office, was created within the Ministry. The Department of the Premier was abolished in August 1993 and its functions assumed by the Office of the Premier and a new sub-department the Office of State Administration.
On the 1 July 2001, the Ministry of Premier and Cabinet  reverted to the title of the Department of Premier and Cabinet.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Working copies of speeches delivered by respective Premiers. These records were maintained by the Public Relations Section of the Premier's Office and later the Government Media Office.
This series also includes copies of speeches by other Government MPs who appear to have been required to submit copies of speeches they made to the Premier for his/her information.
This series of records consists of copies of the speeches themselves and not background notes or briefing notes that may have been used to prepare the speeches.