- 1925-01-01 - 1950-12-31 (Creation)
Level of description
Name of creator
The Fremantle District Road Board was gazetted on 24 January 1871. It covered a large area between Fremantle and Armadale and included what are now several local governing bodies, among them Canning, East Fremantle and Melville. On 26 November 1891 the Jandakot Road board had been gazetted. On 13 August 1923 part of the Jandakot Road Board was transferred to Fremantle Road Board.
In 1897 the East Fremantle Municipal Council was established and in 1900 the East Fremantle Road Board was proclaimed. The latter subsequently became the Melville Road Board. In 1955 a district referendum favoured a change of name to the Cockburn Road board.
By an order-in-council gazetted on 21 January 1955, the Fremantle Road Board became the Cockburn Road Board.