Type of entity
Legal Status Text
Authorized form of name
Other form(s) of name
Dates of existence
The function of the Department was to:
- manage State forests, national parks, nature reserves and other lands and the associated forest produce, fauna and flora;
- encourage the development of forest production requirements;
- conserve and protect flora and fauna and administer the Wildlife Conservation Act;
- carry out research into land management, and Conservation and protection of flora and fauna;
- advise and co-operate with others in the public interest;
- advise the Minister on land matters.
The Lands and Forests Commission, the National Parks and Nature Conservation Authority and the Forest Production Council initially came under the auspices of the Department of Conservation and Land Management.
On 1 July 2006, the functions of the department were taken over by the newly formed Department of Environment and Conservation.