Type of entity
Legal Status Text
Authorized form of name
Other form(s) of name
Dates of existence
The Department of Housing and Works was formed on 1 July 2001 as a merger between the Ministry of Housing and public works function of the Department of Contract and Management Services (the contract management function was transferred to the Department of Treasury and Finance in 2003).
The main functions of the Department covered;
- Homeswest (rental accomodation);
- Bond Assistance;
- Community Housing;
- Aboriginal Housing;
- Government Employees Housing Authority;
- Country Housing Authority;
- Keystart Home Loan Schemes;
- Landstart development and sales;
- The Office of Housing Policy;
- Asset Management Services; and
- Government Projects.
On 1 February 2009, the public works function of the Department was established as a separate business entity within the Department of Treausry and Finance, called Building Management and Works. The Department became the Department of Housing covering public and community housing, Aboriginal and regional housing, Keystart home loans and property sales.